Cheap accommodation in Bunbury, Australia | University Rooms

WELCOME

Casual self-catering accommodation in Bunbury's university residences

Not just for students - anyone can book!

  • Modern rooms from A$50 per person situated in a scenic hilltop location
  • Self-catering casual accommodation in university halls and residences not far from Bunbury city centre
  • This is a delightful cost-effective alternative to staying in a hostel or a hotel

No availability?

  • Availability is mainly in the vacation periods (December-February and June-July), when students clear their rooms
  • Rooms typically become available two to three months in advance, so please revisit the website within that period if nothing is available now
Info
History

Service
Rooms
Food
Value
Overall Experience
Info 

Bunbury Visitor information

Bunbury/

The port city of Bunbury is the third largest city in Western Australia after the State Capital Perth and Mandurah. It is situated 175 kilometres (109 mi) south of Perth's central business district . The port services the farming and timber industries of the south west originally connected via an extensive rail network.

King Cottage was built around 1880 by Henry King and was owned by his family until 1923 when it was sold to the Carlsn family. In 1966 it was purchased by the City of Bunbury and subsequently leased to the Bunbury Historical Society. The rooms of the cottage are furnished to fit the period from the 1880s to the 1920s. The artefacts displayed are part of the Society's collection reflecting the way of life for a family in Bunbury during that period.

The first Baron Forrest of Bunbury, (Lord Forrest) was to be the title bestowed on Bunbury born John Forrest, who was the first Premier of Western Australia, explorer and surveyor of Western Australia. Leading three expeditions the first in search of Ludwig Leichhardt, two expeditions to Adelaide the first surveying the route of Edward John Eyre across the Nullarbor Plain, the second from Geraldton to the overland telegraph line between Adelaide and Darwin in search of pastoral land in the interior of Western Australia. In 1890 when Western Australia gained the right to self rule from Britain, Forrest was elected unopposed to the seat of Bunbury in the Legislative Council and was appointed as the first Premier of Western Australia. In 1901 Forrest resigned as Premier of Western Australia and member for Bunbury so he could contest the seat of Swan in the first federal election. In March 1901 Forrest was elected to the first Australian Parliament where he remained until he resigned due to cancer in 1918. He died in September 1918 while travelling to London, to receive treatment.

Accommodation in Bunbury's university residences

Edith Cowan University (ECU) has a campus in Bunbury and some of its student residences offer casual visitor accommodations during the vacation periods. It should be understood that these residences and colleges are designed primarily for students and not children or adults expecting a high level of luxury. However, with this in mind, they do meet a level of comfort that we expect most visitors to be happy with, and we will welcome any feedback where this is not the case.

Getting to Bunbury

Transwa provides rail and coach services - Australind train, GS3, SW1 and SW2 to Bunbury and services south from Bunbury and South West Coach Lines provides coach services to and from Bunbury. Town services are run by Bunbury City Transit with 11 routes. The Eelup Roundabout, named by the Royal Automobile Club of Western Australia as the worst regional intersection in Western Australia, has been approved for a $16m upgrade including eight sets of traffic lights and extra lanes for each entrance. This is in spite of a 2006 election promise by the Colin Barnett government to build a flyover.

 

History 

Bunbury History

Bunbury/

The first registered sighting of Bunbury was by French explorer Captain Louis de Freycinet from his ship the Casuarina in 1803. He named the area Port Leschenault after the expedition's botanist, Leschenault de la Tour. The bay was named Geographe after another ship in the fleet. In 1829, Dr Alexander Collie and Lieutenant Preston explored the area of Bunbury on land. Later Lieutenant Governor Sir James Stirling visited the area and a military post was established. The area was renamed Bunbury by the Governor in recognition of Lieutenant Henry William St. Pierre Bunbury, who developed the very difficult inland route from Pinjarra to Bunbury.

The Pinjarra to Picton Junction railway line was completed in 1893, connecting Bunbury to Perth, and also to the coal and mineral deposits and agricultural areas to the north and east. The famous railway roundhouse and marshalling yards located at what is now Bunbury Centrepoint shopping centre were a vital service centre for the steam engines of the day. By 1983, the railway into the city (closely following Blair Street's alignment) was considered an eyesore by the local council and developers, who wished to take advantage of the newly elected Burke Labor government's pledges to make Bunbury an alternative city to Perth. A new station was constructed at Wollaston 4 km to the southeast, and the last train to use the old station departed Bunbury on 28 May 1985 with the new terminal commencing operations the following day. The railway land was then sold and Blair Street realigned. The Australind passenger service was then substantially upgraded in 1987. At present there are two departures and two arrivals at Wollaston every day of the week. The former train station is now the Bunbury Visitor Centre and is the main bus station for Bunbury City Transit services. It is also a stop for Transwa and South West Coach Lines bus services.

The following events are occuring in the area

Universities in Bunbury

This website uses cookies. Click here to read our Privacy Policy. If that’s okay with you, just keep browsing. CLOSE